Thursday 27 February 2014

Interview with Jason Schulte of The Nut Gallery Review

1. Can you tell us a little about yourself ,your blog(s)/website(s),and your aspirations and your hobbies!!
My name is Jason Schulte and I have been the owner/operator of The Nut Gallery Review (www.thenutgallery.com) since 2006.  With the website being a hobby that was inspired by my other hobbies of movies and video games it seemed the perfect fit to do a website that reviewed those items.  

2. How you first got involved in with blogging/writing, are you an imaginative person?
One day a good friend and I went to a movie that was reviewed as the must see movie of the year by many of the main stream movie critics.  The movie was so bad that we barley stayed through the whole thing which would have been the first time I walked out on a movie.  The only thing that kept us there was that the rest of the audience was also making the movie fun by making comments.  After that experience we decided to create a website with our honest opinions.

3. What do you find most challenging about blogging/writing about your topic?
One of the challenges is being consistent with the time I put into it.  Between doing my job and raising my family it can be tough to commit the time.  Summer always is harder as there are so many outdoor activities to do.

4. Tell me about some of the people you have met while working on your blog?
I have met several actors, writers, and directors while working on the website.  It is always fun to talk with people that share some of the same passions. 

5. How would (someone) describe your blogging/writing style?
I would be described as honest.  That was the foundation of what we were trying to create.  Even when reviewing material that friends are involved in I have to stay true to the honest part and give and honest review.

6. What do you do when you are not working on your blog?
When I am not writing for the website I tend to be reading, watching movies, playing video games, raising my family and cooking.

7 .Where do you see yourself blogging/writing wise in the next 6 months, and 5 years down the road?
I hope to continue to entertain, inform, and grow.

8. What networking do you do that you feel helps your blogging/writing business?
I have networked with other people that are doing similar projects and website.  Instead of looking at them as competitors I would rather work together for both our benefit.

9. How do you keep coming up with material/content for your blog? Many people struggle with coming up with different articles/posts and they only have one blog.
Hollywood is never short of news and products to talk about.  I set a weekly goal for posts and try to stay close to that.

10. Whats your strategy with your blog in general?
I write it for my own satisfaction and anyone that finds it entertaining is a bonus.

11. Any specific tips you have for newbie bloggers who want to make it in the blogosphere?
Write because you want to not because you have to.  Having said that it is important to stick with it. 

12. What would you prioritize? Content? SEO? Traffic? Readers?
I have always put content first.  The rest will work itself out.

13. Whats the best thing a blogger can give to his readers?
Honest and truthful information.

14. A lot of people are interested in blogging/writing for the money earning potential. What are some tips for people interesting in making money from blogging/writing? What are some realistic expectations in regards to what can be made?
I wish them the best, most that set out with that goal end up disappointed.

15. What motivates you most in life?
My family.

16. What has been your strategy for creating visibility to yourself and your blog?
Telling anyone and everyone that will listen about it.  It has opened more conversations that anything else in my life.

17 What was the most challenging moment in your blog content development process and why?
Overcoming burn out and frustration.  Sometimes it feels that now one is listening or caring but a lot of the people that do read what I have written like it well enough to not need to say anything.

18. Everyone has a favorite/least favorite post. Name yours and why?
I like it anytime I get a heads up on some news before anyone else.  This also leads me to one of the worst posts.  I was one of the first writers to get wind of the Paul Walker accident.  I had an inside source that broke the news to me almost an hour before the mainstream media was covering the story.

19. Name some of the bloggers whom you look up to and why?
I am a big fan of Scott Sigler who has released several of his books via podcast.  He has become a go to person in the industry and really has out done what everyone thought he could.

20. What is the story behind the name of the blog?
We picked the name thenutgallery.com as we liked to give our views from the peanut gallery.  We are also a little nutty sometimes so that also fit in nicely.

21. Your connection with any Blogger Network like Indi blogger or Writeupcafe or any other and the experience?
I have limited experience with blogger networks.  Though the experiences I have had, have all been good.

22. Which genre do you feel gets the raw deal?
I honestly would say sci-fi gets the raw deal.  I think this covers sci-fi bloggers, movies, literature.  I think a lot of times people see sci-fi and assume that it is geeky or nerdy.

23. Which one plug-in would you suggest all bloggers to have?
Anything that helps with fan feedback

24. Five adjectives that describe you.
Conscientious, diligent, honest, loyal, reliable.

25. What book would you say has made the biggest impact good or bad on you?
This was a tough question because I have had lots of books have an impact on my life.  If I had to pick one I would say I Beat the Odds by Michael Oher

26. Do you get easily provoked by positive/negative comments??
I would not say easily provoked.  The ones that upset me is when people post comments that have not facts to back them.

27. Do you plan to write a book, as every bloggers dream it is?
I have several ideas for books but not sure where I would fit that in.

28. Are you a judgmental person, do you prefer to take sides instead of standing neutral?
Depends on what is going on.  I do like to know both sides before taking a side.

29. Your collaboration with other bloggers, are you much into social networking, tell us everything about it?
We do use social media such as facebook and twitter.  Just another way to keep fans closer and involved.

30. What genre attracts you the most and which genre you avoid?
I avoid romance and like just about anything else.

31. Your Views on Contests and increasing plagiarism?
Contests are another nice tool to keep people involved.  I have had several bad experiences with running contests and have stayed away from them for a while.  Plagiarism, now there is a hot topic.  I think things have gotten a little out of hand on both ends.  I think what people consider protected property is getting out of hand in a bad way.  I would like to point to the movie The Butler which was almost blocked because a movie that came out over 40 years ago had that same title.  We are taking all the creative options away by making everything a copywrited property.  Having said that I also would not want someone who has created something to lose the hard work because someone else takes there idea.

32. Words for me and my blogs Desire v/s Destiny and Blogger Interviews and my Website www.MyMagicJobs.com
It needs some more color to the page to break things up a bit.  Maybe a little more organization to the opening page.  What your page is about is half way down the page.

33. On winning the Award/s , Are they Really necessary.
Who does not like to win some awards.  It is always nice to get awards for the hard work that is put into a project.

34. So whats Next in your list?
I am working on creating a mobile version of our website.

35.Words for your readers and why they should follow you?

I do my best to be honest and entertaining. 

No comments:

Post a Comment